Statistics to share
The threat of winter fires is real. Use these statistics to help your community understand how severe these fires can be.
- 890 people die in winter home fires each year.
- $2 billion in property loss occurs each year from winter home fires.
- Winter home fires account for only 8 percent of the total number of fires in the U.S., but result in 30 percent of all fire deaths.
- Cooking is the leading cause of all winter home fires.
- A heat source too close to combustibles is the leading factor contributing to the start of a winter home fire (15 percent).
- 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. is the most common time for winter home fires.